- Set up position is lower than the middle infielders
- Field the ball and get your hips and shoulders aligned to your target
- Footwork is either a right foot lead (crossover with right foot), replace your feet, or left foot lead
- First step in either direction is a crossover step- but make sure you stay low.
- Don’t be afraid to dive
- Take a good angle to a ball. Take a deeper angle to a ball to give yourself a chance to get the ball.
- Once you make the backhand catch, plant your right foot and make the throw to first.
- Crossover step to your left, drop your drop back your right foot and throw.
- Field the ball with your feet in position to make the throw
- Ball down the line, field it with a backhand so your feet are lined up with your target
Throwing on the run
- Throw off your right foot (sidearm).
- Clear out with your left arm to help turn your shoulders
Taking throws from the outfield
- Keep your glove as low as possible.
Receiving a throw from left or center field
- Straddle the bag
Receiving a throw from right field
- Get to the front, inside corner of the bag- with your left foot against the bag.